Sunday, May 1, 2011 | By: Laurie

A Little Russian Prince & Princess & how you can help our friends in the South!

A Little Russian Prince and Princess!

Clapping hands.....
...dancing feet and overflowing with JOY!
The pictures of these two precious children just make me smile every time I look at them, as well as every time I see them in person! I see two adorable children and a mom and dad whose cup runneth over, bubbling in happiness. I think about how all their lives have changed in such a remarkable way. It never ceases to blow me away! You see, these two children are biological siblings, who lived in separate orphanages, or child homes in Russia. They never, ever had even met each other, until the glorious day they all became a forever family! It's an incredible story of adoption that not only brings joy to the Hunter family, but it reached the National News and brought joy to others!  Their adoption story has touched many lives and it continues to touch lives, as other families seek adoption and are encouraged by reading other adoption story. You can read their beautiful story HERE.
The little Russian Prince and Princess stole my heart even before I saw pictures of them! As an adoption shower was planned at church, I began to think about what to make for two children who never had anything of their very own. They never had a Mom and Dad who tended to their every need. They didn't have family and friends who showered them with gifts at their birth. They didn't have grandparents, aunts, uncles & cousins who proudly showed them off to friends and even strangers. It was now time to start giving these children a good dose of what they never had. It was time for a Mom, Dad, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends to shower them with LVE!
I really wanted to make something special, because they deserved "special". I began with a long journey of finding just the right fabric to make a special dress for a special little princess! You can't even imagine my excitement when I found some fabric with Russian Matryoshka, or Russian Nesting Dolls, on it!!! I didn't even care that I had to send away to Japan to get it! :) 
Is this not the cutest fabric?!
Brer Rabbit wishes he could get his paws 
on a whole bolt of it!
This original smocking plate with two different views,
will be available soon from Brer Rabbit Designs!
Once the dress was made, I was inspired to create a pattern that I named after the little Russian Prince and Princess! 
"Bennett & Celia's Cardigans"

Celia's Cardigan includes the 
Matryoshka Nesting Doll applique!
the back of the cardigan has adorable inverted pleats!
Bennett's Cardigan is modeled after a classic Barn Jacket. With featherweight brown corduroy on the collar and patch pockets, and a plaid cotton lining, it makes the perfect Spring or Fall jacket for a boy! 

Bennett & Celia's Cardigan is an ePattern available from Brer Rabbit Designs and can also be purchased at Fairytale Frocks and Lollipops! In fact, if you purchase this or any of my patterns from FF&L TODAY you can directly help our friends in the South who have been devestated by tornados! 
Brer Rabbit appreciates anything you can do to help our friends in the South!


4 comments:

Goosegirl said...

Oh I am so happy for this family!!! I LOVE what you made for these precious children. Just beautiful, as they are!

Sewconsult said...

Such precious children. They are so lucky to be kept together with a forever family. You did a great job on finding the fabric for such a sweet princess. Too bad we can't hug those two sweet ones through the computer screen.

Esther Grant said...

I remember you saying there was a story behind your little Matryoshka and what a great story it is. Brother and sister look adorable and blessed to be loved so much.

Sarah said...

So nice! And I, too would love to get my hands on the Russian doll fabric!!

Post a Comment