Friday, December 3, 2010 | By: Laurie

{The Gingerbread Man}

As you know, Brer Rabbit is all about the classics! One of my favorite classic folk tales that I enjoyed as a child is "The Gingerbread Man". 
I think just about everybody knows this part of the story best:
"Run, run, as fast as you can!
You can't catch me!
I'm the Gingerbread Man!"
One of the blogs that I frequently visit is Olabelhe and her blog post about Christmas Gingerbread inspired me to spend some crafty time making some Gingerbread Men with my grandson!
The best part about this project is that I had all the supplies I needed right in my sewing room and kitchen! I first grabbed some paper grocery bags, then I gathered up a jar of old buttons and buckles, a spool of string, twine, craft scissors, glue, felt and ribbon. I also dug thru my collection of quilting charm squares in Christmas fabrics to use as scrap fabric. I made a pattern and cut out a stack of gingerbread men from the paper bags and then we were ready to begin our craft time!
I think I can see visions of
Gingerbread Men Dancing in his head!
What child doesn't love anything that
has to do with glue?!
This gingerbread man was getting
a handmade vest!
The winning smile says it all!
The Completed Gingerbread Men
found their place on the Christmas Tree!
This is a craft project that is sure to delight children of all ages! If you would like the free instructions to this project, which includes my gingerbread man template, then click HERE! I would love for you to share the link to my pattern with your crafty friends!
I think maybe next week we just might have to make some homemade gingerbread man cookies! Mmmm! I can almost smell them baking now!

Gingerbread Children
Gingerbread children stand in a row.
Very good children, always, you know.
They never will jump or kick or leap,
Or start to cry when it’s time to sleep.
They never run off or look around.
And no one has heard them make a sound.
Gingerbread children are fine to meet,
But, much better still, they’re good to eat!


6 comments:

marilyn said...

I just love Paxtons smile!!! Well done!

Sew Shine said...

Awwww..SO SWEET! You are an awesome grandmother...I can tell he enjoyed your craft!

Heirloom Gypsy said...

Hi Laurie! I also love The Gingerbread Man - can remember reading it over and over to my kids when they were little:)
I have become a follower of your lovely blog and am so glad you decided to follow mine - thank you:)
Sabre'

Brer Rabbit said...

Thanks so much!!!

Jan said...

Beautiful photo's and a classic story!

Emily said...

I'm so curious as to the publishing date of your copy of The Gingerbread Man; it looks so charming. Just love those little men! http://readmeastorynow.blogspot.com/2010/12/gingerbread-boy.html

Post a Comment